How to do a Facebook Live
Over two billion people, more than a quarter of the world’s population, have watched at least one of the 3.5 billion broadcasts on Facebook Live.
Videos created on this platform also receive six times more interactions than standard Facebook videos, and will boost your content in the Facebook algorithm.
Sounds great, right?
But how does this impact you as a business owner?
Why should you care?
Because Facebook Live will increase your social media engagement and boost your social media marketing efforts.
But if you’ve never used this Facebook feature, it can feel quite intimidating. After all, you’re live! So, to quiet your nerves, we put together step-by-step directions on creating your first Facebook Live video:
How to Go Live on Facebook
- Open up your Facebook app and navigate to your business page. Near the top of your page, you should see a blue box that says “Create a post.” Under the box, there are three options: Photo, Camera and Live. Select Live.
- You may be prompted to grant Facebook access to your camera and microphone. Select Allow Access so that your audience will be able to see and hear you.
- About two-thirds of the way down your screen, you will see “Tap to add a description…” This description will show on Facebook users’ timelines above the video. Write a compelling description to entice your audience to watch your broadcast.
- Familiarize yourself with Facebook Live capabilities. There are several options you can take advantage of to enhance your live video, including filters, lenses and the ability to draw on your screen where your audience can see. However, it is important to only use options that reflect your brand’s image and further your social media marketing goals. A blue beard superimposed over your face may look funny, but unless your business sells men’s grooming products, it’s probably not something you want to use.
- Once you feel comfortable with the Facebook Live interface and you have a solid plan for your video, it’s time to go live! Click the “Start Live Video” button and begin interacting with your viewers. Remember, your video will appear in your business feed and the feeds of your followers. In the top left corner, you’ll see how long you’ve been on live, and across the bottom of your screen, you’ll see comments from your viewers, which you can react and/or respond to.
Sounds easy enough, right? If you need more convincing to jump on the live bandwagon, check out the benefits below:
Why Businesses Should Use Facebook Live
- Create authentic content. Facebook Live videos are, well, live. This means that they are unedited and often viewed as more authentic to viewers, which appeals to society’s desire to get to know the people behind their favorite companies.
- The live streaming trend is expected to rise. It was no coincidence that by 2016, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter all boasted live streaming capabilities—the market is expected to reach $70 billion by next year!
- Engage your audience. Live streaming creates a sense of urgency because viewers feel like they’re missing out if they do not watch. According to Livestream, 80 percent of consumers would rather watch a live video from a brand than read a blog post.